WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. – The Wisconsin Office of Natural Methods (DNR) asks mother nature fans and landowners in Wood, Portage, Adams, Juneau, Waushara, Marquette, Waukesha, Milwaukee, Walworth, Jefferson and Washington counties to collect wild prevalent milkweed seedpods to aid grow habitat for indigenous pollinators on condition lands.
The DNR encourages volunteers to harvest seedpods from their home or neighbors’ uncultivated fields (with the assets owner’s authorization) from Sept. 1 by Sept. 30. The DNR will use collected seeds as part of a monarch habitat restoration undertaking throughout various Condition Natural Locations in the Central Sands and Southern Kettle Moraine regions.
“We’re making an attempt to plant regional indigenous seeds, which includes milkweed, in recognized and new prairies to aid pollinators like monarchs and the federally endangered Karner blue butterfly,” said Tim Holme, DNR Conservation Biologist. “Collecting milkweed seeds is a good opportunity for the general public to aid maintain Wisconsin’s prairies and pollinators for generations to arrive.”
Why Milkweed Allows North American Pollinators
Wisconsin is the coronary heart of the breeding floor for the japanese migratory populace of monarchs, whose inhabitants has lessened by 80% over the earlier 20 a long time. Fifty-four of the state’s 72 counties are found within just the breeding region prioritized for monarch butterfly habitat.
In addition to its significance for monarchs, Wisconsin is a stronghold for the federally endangered rusty patched bumble bee and Karner blue butterfly. It is home to populations of 16 other at-hazard pollinator species.
How To Assist: Acquire, Contain, Deliver
- Gather – Harvest mature wild widespread milkweed seedpods only in the next Central Sands counties: Wood, Portage, Adams, Juneau, Waushara and Marquette, or these Southern Kettle Moraine counties: Waukesha, Milwaukee, Walworth, Jefferson and Washington. Mature pods are brownish-inexperienced or grayish-eco-friendly. If the leaves are dying or slipping off, the plant’s pods are possible ready for selecting or shortly will be. Take note: When gathering seedpods, be sure to leave a single pod guiding for every 10 collected to really encourage reseeding the milkweed’s local inhabitants.
- Contain – Location seed pods in a brown paper bag, feed sack, fabric bag or other breathable bags for donation. Consist of the subsequent details on the seed bag: the county, deal with or nearest road, or latitude and longitude coordinates of the collection internet site and get hold of facts for any DNR stick to-up questions.
- Supply – Drop off the milkweed seed baggage at one of the assortment web sites shown beneath. Position the seed bags in the aspect doorway of the kiosk or in the designated tote to defend them from the factors. Following dropping off seed baggage, please call a person of the subsequent DNR personnel to enable them know.
Fall-Off Web pages:
Central Sands Area
Adams, Marathon, Marquette, Portage, Shawano, Waupaca, Waushara and Wooden counties
Make contact with: Tim Holme [email protected]
- Friendship Ranger Station, 532. N. Primary St., Adams, WI
- Necedah Ranger Station, 400 Birch St., Necedah, WI
- DNR Wisconsin Rapids Services Center, 473 Griffith Ave., Wisconsin Rapids, WI
- Plover DNR Ranger Station 2510 Maple Drive, Plover, WI
- Wisconsin Dells Ranger Station 1242 River Street, Wisconsin Dells, WI
Southern Kettle Moraine
Milwaukee, Jefferson, Walworth and Waukesha counties
Make contact with: Emily Helm [email protected]
- Havenwoods State Forest, 6141 N. Hopkins St., Milwaukee, WI
- Hausmann Character Middle at Lapham Peak, W328 W846 County Road C, Delafield, WI
- Kettle Moraine Condition Forest Southern Device Headquarters, S91W39091 WI-59, Eagle, WI